Monday, February 13, 2012

Rain Boat



I am a being of Heaven and Earth, of thunder and lightning, of rain and wind, of the galaxies.
--Eden Ahbez

Our house is a converted barn and I'm thankful that its original corrugated metal roof is still in place. In the night the rain came, hard. It's like trying to sleep inside a snare drum at a football rally. Then came the real drum roll, near dawn -- a volley of hail that rattled and roared across the ceiling like thunder. Meanwhile, the wind was surging across the ridge, singing its storm song through the boughs of the pines. Caught between sleep and waking, between the solid earth of this old house and the wild joy of the skies, I do not mind losing sleep, forfeiting dreams. My life, then, is a dream, tossed on oceans of air; I am a boat, plunging gladly onward into the oncoming waves of the new day.


No comments: