Friday, February 17, 2012

Cookies For Breakfast




By dawn’s early light I shambled into the kitchen this morning to feed the cats, Panda and Sophia, and Maclovio, the dog, whose collective hunger always wakes me somewhat before I’m ready. And, while dishing out food and offering pats and assorted de rigueur greetings, I spied something that made my heart sing: a nearly empty cookie plate. And in that moment I knew I had finally found something for which I’ve searched for over a quarter of a century: the cookie recipe that is irresistible to my husband!

Now, I admit to eating my fair share of cookies – but not that many! No, clearly I have hit upon a winner, at last. And the miraculous thing about it is, they have no flour whatsoever, so they’re perfect for anyone on a gluten-free diet, as I am. (Diet may be used a little loosely here, as cookies aren’t generally part of one.) I got this recipe from my new Facebook friend Fawn, to whom I shall be forever grateful. And now I’m going to pass it on to you, as it is the soul of simplicity. And if you use all organic ingredients, its good for you and good for the environment, too. Who knew that eating peanut butter cookies also could be virtuous service to the world?

1 cup peanut butter (I used some almond butter, too. Next time, will try cashew butter.)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
½ tsp. vanilla

Mix it up with a mixer, roll it into 1-inch balls, put them on a buttered cookie sheet, flatten them with those cute cross hatchings from a fork, and bake at 350 for 12 minutes. Et voilà!

I hope you enjoy them with the same gusto that this household has. If you hurry, you can have these cookies made in time for breakfast. It’s a new day. Here comes the Sun! Happy peanut butter cookies to you!


1 comment:

laureen sonia said...

Love anything that has to do with food... I will make some tomorrow and show you on my FB ..Thank you for sharing..
Laureen