Sunday, April 1, 2012

Palm Sunday Donkey


G. K. Chesterson wrote one of my favorite poems about Palm Sunday, from the perspective of the donkey who carried Jesus to Jerusalem. The folk tale about the donkey is that the dark hair along its spine and across its rump, forming a cross, is the mark gifted this humble, lowly animal for having carried the Virgin and Christ Child on its back on the flight into Egypt.

The Donkey
By G. K. Chesterton 1874–1936

When fishes flew and forests walked  
   And figs grew upon thorn,  
Some moment when the moon was blood  
   Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
   And ears like errant wings,  
The devil’s walking parody  
   On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
   Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,  
   I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
   One far fierce hour and sweet:  
There was a shout about my ears,
   And palms before my feet.

Blessings upon all the humble creatures of the Earth. Tomorrow I’ll tell you why I was absent from this blog, yesterday – a tale that also involves humble creatures.

And remember: it’s April Fool’s Day! Watch your back!

No comments: