Saturday, March 17, 2012

Irish Blessings


 
New Grange

 Every day, every night
That I praise the goddess,
I know I shall be safe:
I shall not be chased,
I shall not be caught,
I shall not be harmed.
Fire, sun and moon
Cannot burn me. Not
Lake nor stream nor sea
Can drown me. Fairy
Arrow cannot piece me.
I am safe, safe, safe,
Singing her praises.

--The Shield of Brigid, Irish prayer

Ireland is an ancient land of myth and mystery. Leprechauns, sprites, elves and fairies make their home there and many are the stories of their mischief and their blessings. St. Patrick was a fine fellow, I’m sure, but he intruded on a culture and sacred tradition far older than Christianity. Long before St. Patrick served in Ireland as bishop in the second half of the 5th century, the goddess was worshipped there. Christians were responsible for reducing the status of Celtic gods and goddesses to trolls and fairies. Whether we think this is a good thing or a tragic loss, just for this one day let’s honor the Ancient Ones because, strange as it may seem, they are still honoring us by honoring Earth.

Wherever you go and whatever you do,
May the luck of the Irish be there with you.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

And Happy St. Paddy’s Day, too!

                                    The Paps of Anu

No comments: